Is it possible to do hair removal during pregnancy?
An interesting position of a woman is caused by a number of questions not only in nutrition, but also in self-care. A common question of pregnant women is whether hair removal can be done during pregnancy. Experts say that this provision is not a contraindication, but it is important to observe several rules. For example, to carry out the procedure exclusively in clean conditions, it does not matter, at home or in a specialized salon, use disposable accessories (gloves, razors, spatulas) and sterile devices. The cleanliness of the room and tools is applicable not only to pregnant and lactating women, but to all girls who decide on the hair removal procedure.
During pregnancy, sensitivity and susceptibility in general are particularly increased., and any event turns into something special, the attitude changes to “tremulous,” and the approach becomes incredibly serious. Speaking about the epilation of pregnant women, it is important to take into account their psycho-emotional state and take care of a comfortable climate in the cosmetologist’s office. If a pregnant woman ventured on her own hair removal and thinks about whether it is safe for the health of the baby and herself, we answer - absolutely, if you follow the rules of cleanliness and carry out the procedure in accordance with all standards.
How to remove hair for pregnant women?
Shaving is the easiest, painless and quickest way to get rid of hair, but not the longest lasting.
Shaving is chosen by women with a fear of pain before waxing and those who have experienced varicose veins, as with serious problems with leg veins, waxing is not indicated.
Hair removal during pregnancy is worth it because:
- During pregnancy, hair begins to grow faster. - it causes discomfort even in ordinary life, you must admit. Shaving often is not an option. It leads to thinning of the skin and its irritation, so hair removal will be an excellent way out of the “hairy” position.
- Hypersensitivity to the skin leads to irritationespecially after shaving.
- A woman begins to sweat more intensely, hair retains moisture and sweat, acts as a favorable environment for the development of bacteria and the appearance of an unpleasant odor.
- When the tummy has grown enough, self-shaving can become a real problem and sometimes cuts of the skin with a razor can not be avoided. Then it’s time for a trip to the salon to a trusted master (at least friends).
- To maintain her attractiveness to her husband.
Hair removal options at different times
Let's start with contraindications: Laser and photoepilation are not indicated for pregnant women and women who are planning a pregnancy and are actively working on it. Doctors have not yet studied the effects of these methods on the health of the unborn baby, so just exclude them from your list.
- Depilation. This is a method of superficial hair removal with a razor or special cream. Here, the struggle is with the body of the hair, which is cut off or dissolved, but grows the very next day (if a razor is used). Depilation cream removes hair for about 7-10 days, but pregnant women do not always like this procedure - during an interesting situation (and especially if toxicosis is caught), the smell of the cream simply irritates or even causes vomiting.
If you chose depilation with cream, choose a product with the least amount of flavoring, in a word, "by smell."
- Epilation. It differs in that when it is carried out, the hair follicle is removed and the skin remains smooth longer - about two weeks. Any hair removal is painful: the root of the hair is closely connected with the nerve endings, and when the bulb is removed, we feel pain. Unpleasant sensations can intensify during pregnancy - almost every woman becomes more sensitive due to changes in hormonal levels.
Hair removal with an epilator allows you to carry out the procedure at home. To reduce pain, pre-cool the skin with a compress or use a cooling gel, ointments and creams with anesthetic effect are prohibited (the substances that make up the cream easily penetrate the placental barrier and may not affect the health of the fetus in the most positive way).
Some appliances are sold with a cooling nozzle - it reduces pain. This type of hair removal is often associated with their ingrowth, therefore, after each procedure, it is recommended to use a cream against hair ingrowth and not to neglect scrubs. This type of hair removal is suitable for women with a fairly high pain threshold (especially if the procedure is performed for the first time or after a long break), tight skin and prone to ingrown hair.
Sugar or waxing is mainly carried out in the salon. Be sure to tell the master that you are expecting a baby when the tummy is not yet visible. He, in turn, will treat you even more reverently and exclude any annoying factors, will be interested in your well-being.
When planning pregnancy, in the early and late stages, while breastfeeding, you can do epilation. A preliminary test is to test for an allergic reaction of wax and sugar, because they are potential allergens, especially if during an interesting situation the sensitivity and vulnerability of the skin to cosmetic products has become higher.
Nursing mothers, the procedure of shugaring or sugar hair removal, electro - or conventional hair removal is also not prohibited. The components of the formulations do not affect either the quality or quantity of breast milk.
- In the late stages, any pain can cause uterine tone. It is important to talk about all your sensations to the master, and especially when the stomach catches and sharp pain occurs (meaning in the abdomen). If the period is 36-40 weeks, childbirth can begin at any time, but in any case you will be able to get to the maternity hospital.
- Apply waxing (hot method) is contraindicated in varicose veins and in later stages. Hot mass can cause a woman unpleasant sensations.
- If you plan to do hair removal for the first time, choose an earlier date. - you should not go to the procedure in the 40th week, it is better to do it at least in the 20th.
Which way to choose for different areas on the body?
You can choose any method: epilator, sugar or wax. But if you are overtaken by varicose veins, you need to consult a gynecologist and always with a phlebologist - on the recommendation of the first or your own request.
Hot wax combined with sharp jerking movements are not beneficial for diseased veins.
It is preferable to choose a salon procedure and an experienced craftsman, stop at the classic "panties zone". Visit the salon and specify which master worked with pregnant women and contact him. A competent specialist will select the optimal composition (with a minimum of chemical and a maximum of natural components), a comfortable temperature of wax or sugar (get ready for a small thermal test) and provide a pleasant atmosphere in general.
For a long period, while holding a bikini, hold the tummy with your hands - this will calm you and the baby, relieve pain a little. In an intimate place, the skin is especially sensitive, perhaps the master will suggest removing hair in the area of the panties and not touching the “deep” - labia and the intergluteal region.
In any case, hair removal of the intimate area is worth it to do even during pregnancy, and it is better to do it before the onset of conception. With each procedure, the quality of the hairs changes - they become thinner, softer and more supple, and removing them during pregnancy will seem like a trifle.
Trust your intimate area only to a master with a medical education and work experience who works in a sterile clean room and uses the latest fresh compounds. Although hair removal at a specialist is more expensive, but you must admit, health (including psycho-emotional) is more expensive than a couple of hundred rubles. For a long time, the master may refuse to carry out the procedure - possible inexperience, unwillingness to take responsibility and other reasons can cause a categorical "no", and this is his right.
Do not be afraid to epilate them. Choose any hair removal method at home or in the salon.
During pregnancy, the hormonal background changes, as a result - the hair can begin to actively fill the face, especially often appear tendrils or hairs on the chin. You can pinch them with tweezers for an infinitely long time or turn to an experienced master who in 15-20 minutes will save you from unpleasant “buddies” on your face.
Masters usually offer wax or sugar hair removal - the choice is yours.
The following types of hair removal are contraindicated for pregnant women:
- Electrolysis. With this method, the hair bulb is destroyed by electric current. Such "blows" are unsafe for the baby.
- Photoepilation. Nothing is known about its effect on the fetus. Its essence consists in a flash of light, which destroys the structure of the hair follicle and seals the blood vessels (they supply micronutrients to the hair). Hair loses its power source and falls out, and the recovery period takes from a month to six months.
- Laser hair removal. Also not tested in pregnant women and therefore not recommended. The bottom line is the direction of laser light on the hair follicle, which literally “burns out”.
Among the contraindications are worth noting:
- Violation of the integrity of the skin: with cuts, wounds, abrasions, burns, the procedure should be postponed (in the affected area);
- With varicose veins, waxing on the legs is excluded, you must consult your doctor about possible ways to remove hair from the body or face.
- Diabetes - a serious reason why hair removal will have to be postponed. Consultation with a doctor is required.
- Herpes and other viral diseasesAffecting areas of the body - a reason to abandon the procedure.
- Allergy. It is impossible to do hair removal on the affected areas, for “clean” ones - choose the method of hair removal with an epilator (wax and sugar are potential allergens). In any case, it is worth doing a test for sensitivity to the composition - apply a little tool to the elbow bend and evaluate the result after 10 minutes.
When not to do?
It is not recommended to carry out the procedure when a woman is stressed - it will cause literally hellish pain during its implementation. Mental and nervous disorders, diseases of the nervous system (for example, epilepsy) are the reasons why hair removal cannot be performed.
It is forbidden to make wax, sugar and hair removal in the bikini area (and any other if the skin sensitivity is too high and any pain is perceived as torture), if there is a threat of miscarriage or premature birth.
The pain from hair removal affects the emotional state of the mother and the unborn baby. The “deep bikini” hair removal procedure with wax or sugar in the intimate area can lead to an increase in the tone of the uterus - this can become a threat to the health of both.
It is better to start doing the procedure in advance - before pregnancyso that the body is accustomed to a painful sensation that will become more tolerant each time. Each procedure makes the hairs softer and less dense and stiff, even after the first “deep” bikini the difference is noticeable - the hairs lose dark pigment and grow more slowly.
At the "mom" forums, the topic of hair removal during pregnancy does not cease to be relevant. Some future mothers practice hair removal with a machine (epilator) at home until the last and are not afraid of doctors' forecasts that this could negatively affect the baby. Indeed, if you do epilation all the time and it doesn’t matter what method - the epilator, wax, sugar, then during pregnancy there are no risks (with its normal course).
According to doctors, it is not worth doing waxing or sugar hair removal for the first time during pregnancy. If you have previously practiced hair removal using this method, then go on, there is no danger.
Doctors say that "hot" hair removal is prohibited with uterine hypertonicity and low placenta, its improper attachment and the risk of miscarriage especially. Any pain affects the uterus, it can simply begin to contract and reject the fetus (in short terms) or lead to the onset of labor - in the big one. Of course, you are unlikely to give birth on a couch by a cosmetologist during hair removal, but it can very well cause a uterine tone or contractions (for a long time).
It is worth noting that the body of each woman is individual, someone continues to use the epilator or go to the salon for shugaring until the 40th week, and they are not at all afraid or even hurt. Others from the mere mention of "hair removal" begin to frantically clutch at their stomach.
Someone from the masters wrote that you can’t do a deep bikini during an interesting situation - the uterus can begin to contract from pain impulses, however, in women's forums it is easy to find information that future mothers trust their intimate area to masters at any time, including a large one.
Is it possible to do hair removal during pregnancy? The next video is the answer to this question.