How to wash the mounting foam from your hands?
Many homework related to construction or repair is due to the mandatory use of foam. Without this composition, neither windows nor doors can be installed, no balcony can be insulated, pipes cannot be routed. It is famous for its adhesive properties, as well as the ability to quickly dry and eat into clothes, leather, surfaces in the apartment.
A person who does not understand repair issues and first took a sealant for work, he is likely to fall into his hands. Working with foam without gloves and not getting dirty is very difficult. Even if a person has taken all the precautions, it is likely that a couple of drops of sealant will be on uncovered skin.
Mounting foam is the type of sealant that has polyurethane in its composition. It is produced in the form of an aerosol and is used in almost every type of construction and repair work. In the frozen state, such a composition becomes a solid polyurethane foam. In the cylinder is a mixture consisting of a liquid prepolymer and a propellant propellant. Due to the presence of this gas in it, the foam exits from there. Hardening takes place through interaction with moisture both on the surface and in the air in the room. Accordingly, the drier the air in the room, the longer the composition will harden. You can speed up this process by spraying the foam with water from a spray bottle.
As a rule, solid foam is almost white, with a slight shade of yellow. However, in the event of exposure to ultraviolet rays, it turns yellow and loses its connecting properties. The weight of the composition is very small. In addition, mounting sealant is not moisture resistant. The adhesive properties are very high - the composition does not “work” on Teflon, polyethylene, silicone, polypropylene.
When working with polyurethane foam, it is necessary to take into account its properties such as primary and secondary expansion. Primary is the expansion that occurs with the sealant immediately after it leaves the cylinder. Secondary - until the composition completely hardens. It can vary from 15 to 100%. In the case when the percentage of secondary expansion is large, it is necessary to apply foam very economically in those places where there is the possibility of strong swelling and because of this deformation of the surface.
It is only necessary to purchase sealant from trusted, certified sellers - this is the only way to avoid buying low-quality material stored in the wrong conditions.
Filling cracks and cracks are filled with mounting foam for the purpose of thermal, hydro and sound insulation. In addition, pieces of building materials are held together with it. Previously, cement or tow was used for these purposes, but this took a lot of time and effort, while the quality of adhesion of materials to each other sometimes left much to be desired.
Nowadays, when a large number of new, natural and artificial materials have appeared, a better, faster and easier to use tool for bonding them together is required. To work with polyurethane foam, training is not needed, and there is no need to use additional devices and tools - it is enough to purchase a cylinder, study the instructions for using the material, and you can begin to perform construction or repair work.
In order for the foam to solidify correctly and not lose its properties, you must follow the rules for working with it:
- The temperature should be in the range from +5 to +30 C.
- The coincidence of the primary and secondary expansion of the foam with the size of the hole to be sealed. If it is less than 1 cm, then it is better to use putty.
- Before starting work, the place where they will be produced is sprayed with water - so it will be better to harden the foam.
- Shaking the container should be done for at least a minute, so that all the contents turn into a homogeneous mass and mix well.
- After applying the foam, it must again be sprayed with water.
- Add sealant in case it seems that it has been applied a little, it is necessary not earlier than in half an hour.
Of course, it is best to use gloves made of thick rubber and wear work clothes when working with this type of hermetic mixture, which is not a pity to stain and throw away in case of an unusual situation. But even then, it is likely that drops of sealant will get on the skin. In this case, the foam closes the air, which can cause serious allergic reactions. Therefore, you need to wash it quickly and painlessly, without damaging the skin.
Hair must be completely covered. You can use a regular knitted hat or shower cap. From the scalp, the remains of the sealant will have to be removed only with the hair.
Some experts recommend lubricating the skin with vegetable oil or petroleum jelly to prevent the hermetic composition from sticking to your hands. However, this is not very convenient. In addition, to wash at the end of work everything that is touched by bold palms is also problematic. Therefore, this advice is not widespread among those who know a little about repair and construction work.
What can be wiped off?
It is much more difficult to remove the mounting foam from the skin than from clothes or surfaces in the apartment. Therefore, you need to protect yourself from the likelihood of such situations.
Polyurethane foam can be both fresh, and hardened. The easiest way is to purchase a special cleaner for it when purchasing sealant. It, as a rule, also represents an aerosol.
If sealant gets on clothes, you must first remove the foam cap so that it does not soak into the fabric. This can be done with a knife or spatula. A piece of clean rags should be soaked with a cleaner and blot the area of the fabric on which the foam has fallen. We must act quickly. After that, immediately wash your clothes using a large amount of washing powder.
If for any reason a person doesn’t have a cleaner, then gasoline, white spirit or even nail polish remover with acetone is suitable for this purpose. But here, great care must already be taken so as not to harm the tissue, since all of the listed substances contain elements that can change its color. It is better to first try to clean a small area of the material to make sure that the composition does not harm it.
If a dried spot of mounting foam has formed on things, then you need to hang this thing out on the street - under the influence of the sun's rays, the sealant will break down and gradually move away from the fabric.
Compounds suitable for cleaning both fabrics and surfaces exist. They are usually purchased at a building materials store.
- For example, Orbafoam Eliminador. Available in the form of a spray, removes dried and old spots. But it can not be sprayed on plastic or on painted or polished surfaces.
- Pu Remover. It is a paste that also copes well with hardened foam. The composition does not smell, a brush and putty knife are sold with it - they can clean surfaces made of aluminum and all artificial materials. Porous surfaces with a spatula can be damaged, as well as bronze, zinc or copper.
As soon as the composition fell into your hands, you need to immediately try to clean it, not allowing it to dry. To do this, take a clean napkin or rags and move the foam from all sides to the center. After that, you need to pick up the entire lump immediately. Lubrication is not recommended under any circumstances. After this, the hands should be washed thoroughly.
In addition, traces of hermetic composition can be wiped off with hands by such means as acetone, kerosene, salt and scrub.
Household cleaning methods
The sealant can be either fresh or dried. Fresh foam can be removed with a special solvent. In addition, in order to independently wash the hermetic composition of the house, there are several more ways:
- Using medical alcohol with a concentration of 3%. The cotton ball should be moistened in it, then gently rub your hands: for the most part, those areas on which the foam has fallen. This method is ineffective if the composition has already begun to soak and dry.
- Using acetone, including nail polish remover. First you need to very carefully and slowly remove the foam with a cotton pad moistened in it, and then wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap.
- In a similar way, you can wash off traces of foam with kerosene. Like acetone, it is better to use it on the street, since both liquids have a specific pungent odor.
- In order to remove the foam from the skin of the hands, you can use warm vegetable oil. This tool will help in a few minutes to destroy all traces of sealant on the hands.
- A handful of rock salt can also clean your hands. To do this, rub them thoroughly, then rinse in running water. You may need to repeat the procedure.
- To remove the mounting foam, you can use a hand scrub (or foot) with large abrasive particles. You can also try a coffee cake, for example, from a coffee machine. You need to massage their hands for 1-2 minutes, then rinse with plenty of warm water.
- You can improve the previous method by adding liquid soap or household shavings instead of salt - this method helps with washing fresh stains.
- The drug "Dimexidum" also cleans hermetic mixtures well. But since it is well absorbed into the skin and has a considerable number of side effects, one must act with great care. If there are allergic reactions to the components of the drug, then you can not use it in any case. And for cleaning walls, furniture, floors, it is perfect.
Solvents do not take hardened mounting foam - this is mentioned in each instruction manual. In this case, only mechanical action is suitable - you can use a pumice stone, a stiff brush or soft sandpaper. Hands in this case are better protected with a fat cream, otherwise you can scratch the skin badly. A large amount of soap should be applied to the brush or pumice, after which it should be rubbed, but not very much, avoiding damage to the skin. Periodically, you should update the cream layer (it is better when it contains aloe), so that the skin does not remain unprotected.
To speed up the cleansing process, you can gently scratch the skin with your nails. But this method is unpleasant and requires a large margin of patience.
Better yet, steam your hands in a container of hot water. Keep your hands in the bath for at least 10 minutes, the water temperature should be at least 45 C. If you dissolve a tablespoon of salt in water, the cleaning process will go faster. After all traces of foam are wiped off, hands should be smeared with a thick layer of cream.
If the sealant has dried up on clothing, most likely, it needs to be "attributed" to the working category. Erasing traces of foam without harming the fabric will not work. You can try to wipe it with a cleaner for sealant, trying to apply it only on the spots with a cotton pad or stick.
You can meet the following recommendation: put the soiled clothes in the freezer, and then try to clean it. Perhaps the principle that works for plasticine and chewing gum will work, and the pieces of sealant will move away from the frozen fabric.
In addition, you can try to remove small drops of sealing material with a needle or manicure scissors, and best of all with a cuticle cutting tool, since it has sharper and thinner blades. You need to very carefully pick up the base of the drop and at least carefully disconnect it from the tissue fibers.
If all the methods proposed above did not give a positive result and it was not possible to clean the foam from your hands, you don’t need to despair, because after 2-3 days the remaining material will leave the skin itself, as the epidermis is constantly updated.
In no case should you use acids and alkalis (Domestos, White, acetic acid, bleaches) in order to remove traces of this kind. They cannot cope with the sealant, since neither acid nor alkali dissolves it. But the skin can be easily burned and then for a long time to eliminate the effects of this burn.
When starting work with sealant, it is imperative to ensure that all surfaces that may be affected are securely covered. You need to close the material, which at the end of the work could be rolled up and thrown away: polyethylene, newspapers, paper, sheets of cardboard.
Be sure to wear work clothes or one that is no longer used, cover your hair with a headscarf, hat or other headgear that allows you to tightly cover the entire scalp. On hands you need to wear gloves made of dense rubber. These measures minimize the possibility of mounting foam on exposed skin.
You can invite a partner (especially in the case when the work ahead is large-scale), so that there is a chance to quickly respond if something goes wrong.
In the event that the mounting foam gets on clothing, leather or the surface of the floor, wall or ceiling, you need to act as quickly as possible, not allowing the composition to soak and dry. In this case, it is likely that all work will go without unpleasant incidents.
See how to remove foam from your hands in the next video.