Tents for fishing: types and subtleties of choice
A fishing trip requires appropriate equipment and some preparation. Even experienced tourists have to consider the season, terrain and the duration of their vacation. If you plan to arrange a halt for more than one night, you should think about choosing a tent for fishing in advance. Modern manufacturers are ready to offer this type of leisure accessories in a wide range - from summer to winter, heated models.
Other parameters differ in variety: capacity, performance, complexity of product installation. All these points are important in the practical use of tents. The presence of a personal shelter allows you to change the duration of fishing, makes it possible to conduct it in a strong wind, frost, night time. So how to choose a tent so that it does not disappoint in the most difficult situation and lasts for many years?
What qualities should a fishing tent have? There is a whole list of points that must be taken into account when selecting a temporary shelter. In particular, it must withstand any precipitation - rain, snow, hail. All necessary fishing equipment, and, if necessary, lighting or heating equipment, should be placed inside. Among the most important characteristics, the following points should be noted.
- Seasonality of application. Winter fishing tents must have a protective skirt that prevents wind from getting inside - it is covered with snow, forms a unique microclimate inside. There must also be a ventilation vent or chimney. For summer models, these requirements are not relevant.
- Capacity. As a rule, single fishing tents are in demand, but double, triple models are also available. In the latter versions, the frame is made six-beam, in single variants there are usually four beams.
- Bottom design. This is important for winter fishing from ice. Tents are used here, in which the bottom part is unfastened, the hole can be drilled directly inside.
- The material of manufacture. The most popular option is lavsan or polystyrene models. They are strong, durable, resistant to fading in the sun. Canvas fishing options are almost never used. As a compromise, you can consider nylon and nylon models, but their characteristics are slightly worse than other tents.
- The number of layers of material. Multilayer tents are used for winter fishing, they provide the opportunity for many hours to maintain heat inside them, even in severe frost. Several material contours provide good protection against wind and rainfall. Many summer tents for fishing are made in the form of an awning with a front mosquito net. The second layer included in the kit provides additional privacy and thermal insulation, allows you to adapt the design for use in cold weather.
- The presence of reflective stripes. At night, this precaution is not unnecessary. Especially if fishing is carried out on ice, which is often driven by snowmobiles in winter.
- Features of the installation. Shore tents differ from ice tents in type and manner of fastening. Without screwdrivers - special "pegs" - and stretch marks on ice there is nothing to do.
- Hygroscopicity of tissue. It becomes especially important when fishing is carried out from a multi-seat shelter, and it is fully equipped with a “crew”. The fabric should provide sufficient air exchange for the declared number of people.
- Equipment. The more expensive the tent, the higher the likelihood of getting a product with high-quality glued seams, well-opening valves, devices for storing things inside.
- Water resistance. For the summer, it’s enough to choose an option that can withstand 1,500-2,000 mm of the height of the water column, if we are talking about winter and autumn - models with doubled characteristics (3,000-4,000 mm).
These, and other points should be clarified in advance when selecting tents for winter or summer fishing with going outdoors. Then, upon arrival at the place, you will not have to waste time solving problems with accommodation.
Types of designs
No less important detail than other characteristics is the type of construction. At tents, it determines both the stability of the product itself and the speed of deployment of the temporary shelter. Among the most popular versions, the following options can be distinguished.
- Fishing tents with a canopy from the rain. They provide optimal protection during fishing, providing a little more freedom in the rain.
- Shelter or "shell". A temporary quick shelter designed for one person allows you to use it as a canopy or a closed structure. Such single-seat models have an umbrella type of disclosure, are convenient and functional for short-term fishing, they are often used in carp fishing.
- Marquee. A tent with four full walls, spacious and spacious. In the summer, it often has fully openable sidewalls for ventilation.
Tents are designed so that people inside can stand at full height. In winter, tents are not economical enough; they are difficult to heat.
- Cube A high tent is convenient for winter fishing from ice, but it is quite vulnerable to wind, has a large windage. Cubes are considered a universal single solution, it is more difficult to heat them. But in such a tent you can stand, it takes up little space, easy to assemble.
- Dome or umbrellas. Often they are called quick-folding for high-speed deployment, on the principle of unfolding an umbrella. Such a double or triple design is inexpensive, quickly heats up inside, has a hexagonal shape that increases the usable area.
The best solution is a model with an aluminum frame, synthetic top.
- Machine with flexible arcs. The temporary shelter folds out and unfolds almost instantly. When transported, flattened to disk size. Available in various capacity options.
Classic camping tents are not well suited for fishing. It is better to leave them as a shelter for the camp, and to get specialized water to get to the water.
Winter and summer fishing structures are very different from each other. Features of seasonal use are mainly associated with thermal insulation, ventilation, heating of the selected option. For summer fishing, it is better to choose specialized and versatile models with rack mounts in pockets. As the frame, the choice of arcs is considered optimal - from duralumin, fiberglass, fiberglass.
In the summer, in the choice of a tent, compactness when folded is also important. The product should occupy a minimum of space and at the same time in the unfolded form to provide sufficient space. A bottom made of rubberized waterproof material will also be an advantage. The presence of a vestibule will allow you to store the catch and gear separately from the general residential block. A plus will be the presence of a mosquito net or canopy with small cells.
For winter fishing, shelter should be chosen among models with a multilayer construction. A gap between the layers of 2 mm is mandatory - it will allow you to effectively drain the condensate. Breathable, hygroscopic awning material is also required. For fishing on ice you need a detachable bottom.
The color scheme also matters. It should be bright and bright - providing the passage of a sufficient amount of daylight, visible from afar. When installing winter tents for fishing, special streamers are used with reliable fastening to the racks. For the cold season, quickly folding models are poorly adapted - it is better to choose frame-arc options.
If you plan to spend a lot of time fishing, it is worth choosing a version with full ventilation and the ability to install an oven or heater.
What models can be called the best? What kind of tents are adepts of ice fishing, and why is it better to go to carp fishing? Is it worth giving preference to budget options or is it better to spend money, but get a quality product? The popularity rating will help you figure it out.
The best shelters.
- Maverick Shelter. Model with automatic layout. Awning top made of polyester, 2 windows available. The hemisphere allows you to quickly and effectively protect gear from getting wet.
- Fox Easy Shelter. Compact quick-mounted shelter withstanding up to 2000 mm of water. The model is made in camouflage colors.
- AVID CARP Tardis Bivvy. Single shelter with two frame arches. Fastening the front panel, you can get a full-fledged tent for the night. The coating withstands a column of water up to 10,000 mm.
Summer and universal tents.
- Lotus 5 Station Wagon. Spacious multi-seat premium tent. Two awnings - external and internal - provide high water resistance, well remove moisture. The hexagonal housing has 4 entrances, walls with mosquito nets and ventilation holes.
If necessary, you can install an oven inside, the kit has a removable floor.
- FOX Royale Euro Dome - a single luxury shelter with an attached inner capsule for sleeping. Convenient solution with a rain canopy. There are mosquito nets, three removable front panels and two types of floor. Included straps for fishing rods.
- Columbus Sea Shell. Compact single tent with a system that allows you to quickly turn it into a canopy. Semi-automatic design, provides quick deployment.
Shelters for winter fishing.
- Polar Bird 4T Long. The leader in the reviews of the fishermen themselves is a spacious model for 3-4 users, the tent is quite heavy. Spacious, stable tent with ventilation windows, a snow-protective skirt, and stormy guy lines.
The best choice for organizing parking for several days. In stock - high-grade insulation, durable fiberglass frame, shape close to the cube.
- Mitek Nelma Cub-2. Practical single tent with quick-mounted structure and hemispherical awning. Inside the frame and arcs of dyurapol, inside a large room. The corners of the awning are reinforced, there is a skirt for protection from wind and snow. Weather resistance - at the level of 2000 mm water column.
- Maverick Ice 5. Spacious five-seater tent with stretch marks and a snow-protective skirt has a hemispherical shape. Among the obvious advantages are the minimal weight, almost instant assembly in any weather conditions. The tent has internal pockets and ventilation windows; it is made of polyester itself.
Having studied the description of models of tents for fishermen Maverick Shelter and other manufacturers, you can easily find your own version for winter and summer fishing.
How to choose?
The rules for choosing a tent for recreation, camping, fishing are quite simple and understandable. Priority should be given to models according to season and purpose. For example, for a fisherman, the benefits of fishing rods or a canopy from the rain are a plus. In winter fishing you can’t do without ice without a detachable bottom, or you should immediately choose a model without it in the kit.
The best colors for tents used in fishing are white, yellow, blue. Translucent material will be a great advantage in the daytime. It is better to choose a tarpaulin awning for organizing a coastal camp.
When buying a modern tent, you should not save on the type of its construction. The faster the model is disassembled and assembled, the better. This is especially important in bad weather conditions, where every second counts. In addition, for a solitary vacation, you should not choose a shelter option that requires the help of a second person during installation. Here, machines and semi-automatic carcasses remain leaders in popularity ratings.
The mobility of the tent also matters. If you plan to frequently change the location, the option with a stationary mount is definitely not suitable - it will only interfere with quick charges. In the summer, you can get by with a shelter that can be easily fixed on any point of the coast.
Fittings are very important. Poorly glued windows and seams will provide heat loss. Sticky zippers or diverging fasteners will cause problems with entry and exit. If there are several interchangeable panels in the kit — with a mosquito net and a transparent “window” - make sure that they are firmly fixed in the tent structure.
The most important rule - a refuge for recreation and fishing should accommodate both the owner himself and his belongings. You should not choose too small or too spacious models. They will turn the placement in a temporary "house" into a disaster for any tourist and fisherman.
Browse fishing tents in the next video.